The world has turned on its AXIS over the course of the week, as we learn more of the shocking twists Rick Remender has planned for the next X-event! Plus: who else picked up this week’s surprise appearance by the real Jean Grey?
This week’s releases
This has been an explosive week for Marvel Comics. As I made clear in my Review, I was particularly fond of X-Men #18 – a single issue that launched Guggenheim’s short cosmic adventure. But there were other X-books out there:
- All-New X-Men #30, which kicked off the romance between X-23 and Angel!
- Amazing X-Men #10, continuing the ‘World War Wendigo‘ plotline!
- Wolverine #11, setting up for the death of Wolverine!
- X-Force #8, in which Cable’s team run foul of fan-favourite MI13!
- A nostalgic Nightcrawler #5 in which Jean Grey makes an appearance!
Original Sin #7 moves the series towards a conclusion, and #8 promises to finally reveal all the mysteries. Meanwhile, the secrets and lies continue to be revealed in Amazing Spider-Man #5, Deadpool #33, and Fantastic Four #8.
This is an unusual year – Marvel have an insane number of epics going on at once. Original Sin is coming to a close only weeks before the build-up begins to Axis; we have the Death of Wolverine; and, of course, Spider-Verse! IGN have a fascinating article that I think everyone needs to check out – why event comics always disappoint. Marvel, in particular, need to take care not to over-egg the pudding…